Persuaders

The Persuaders: A post inspired by the documentary

Throughout our life we are surrounded by advertisements.  Whether these advertisements affect us subconsciencely or consciencely is the only question--seeing as no matter how hard we try to distance ourselves from them, it is nearly impossible.

Companies create meaning systems that target specific groups of people and try to evoke certain emotions within these groups.  These companies strive to fill the voids with false warmth and kindness.  The different advertisers send out invitations to join the lifestyle that they claim comes along with their product.  They are no longer selling their product, but company to fix loneliness, smiles to fix a sad life, and style to add to someone who simply doesn't like who they are.  They offer solutions that seem so real and simple to the buyer.  When the buyer finds out they did nothing to help their issues they find themselves giving companies another chance--they continue to buy more and more.  A cycle that does nothing but create more advertisement that bring more hollow promises.

I attended my first cycle class this week at a place called Team Ride.  The name of the place itself offers the feel of inclusion and meaning.  It suggests that if you go you will be apart of a "Team."  All you have to do is pay $26 each time-- and when you do you will be granted a home base or a family.  When I stepped into the building a nice lady came to me and introduced herself with a smile.  She showed me to locker number 38.  I had a place in the class.  I was fully included in a "Team" that gave the illusion of love and comfort.  It did feel nice, I have to admit, kindness can never hurt.  However, one has to acknowledge that this is the exact line of their product.  This is their businesses goal and meaning system.  After attending the class, only two days later, a notecard came in the mail. It contained a hand written message urging me to come back.  The words "let's do it again" appeared in the message.  It was not just me cycling with them, they didn't want me to come back, they wanted to do it WITH me.  They wanted to do it together, continuing the appearance of a team, of inclusion.




 

Comments

  1. This was a very interesting for me, because since I often spin I see how they build community right from the beginning. But also I have noticed how they have changed their techniques of advertising. Check out the walls at Lululemon next time you are there hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is interesting to see how important a since of community is for many people. Even though it is expensive, people still go to Team Ride because they feel that they are on a team. It seems very weird once you notice how they captivated you. This company is very successful in what they do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that by adding a sense of community to the experience really attracts costumers to keep coming. By acting as a team and mailing you a personal letter, shows the company's devotion to make the costumer happy and feel included during the class. This is a smart way to keep returning costumers.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment